"A whole new world, a new fantastic point of view!"

8:04 AM


How was I during the storm? One word: ASDFGHJKL!! (I know it's not really a word but..yep.) I have to say, that week was crazy. 😂

Monday morning, my parents caught a flight to Samar for a seminar leaving me and my siblings at home. They were to stay there until Friday so we all agreed to keep in touch with one another, we even loaded up our phones and availed a week’s worth of unlimited calls and texts (which I don't normally do…just because).

*Fast forward!*

We didn't expect a typhoon coming and what's more is that we did NOT expect it to be that strong. I guess it’s also because we didn’t bother to watch or read news about it either.
At 3 A.M., Wednesday, the rain kept pouring and the winds bashed into our house. I woke up feeling shocked, thinking that I peed on my bed (haha sorry!) because it was so wet, but then I realized that it was flooding in our bedroom already. *panic mode ON*

Electricity went out.
Garage fell on car.
My precious marigolds that have just started blooming – not so precious-looking anymore (my poor babies!).
Kitchen – gone.

Yes, gone. The wind blew so hard, I could have ridden on the roofs of our makeshift kitchen singing, "A whole new woooorld!!!" Pinoy version of Princess Jasmine on the magic carpet.

It was seriously difficult not to have parents around during situations like saving a gas range from being blown away by monstrous winds or finding scrunched up roofs amidst the heavy rains. Plus, my parents weren't the only ones who were not home during the storm, my older brother left too. He got stranded somewhere in Biga while working on a thesis so we only called or texted each other from time to time, asking if things were going okay. Good thing he got home right away when the storm laid low. Anyway I am still grateful that there were people from our church who helped me and my little sister clean up the mess the storm caused. I didn’t tell my parents about our house being attacked by Glenda yet since I thought Mom would go hysterical about it, ‘til she called sometime at 7 A.M. to check on us. Surprisingly, she didn’t react as I expected. She was completely calm about it, telling us to stay inside the house and be careful.

Candles were very useful to us and every night, they made us feel like people living in the olden days. When we get bored, we pick up the guitar and sing, or we dance around the fire, make up our own chants, and pretend that we are tribes of some kind.

I still managed to take a photo with my 3%
battery life, haha! I just had to have
something to remember the funny
moments we had after typhoon
Glenda.
Some nights, we role play haha!:) and pretend that we are actually watching the television (with matching use of the remote control, shifting from comedy to drama). We even say “Tayo na’t mag hapunan, Rizal..” because of the “feels” of living in the past that the candle light gives (lol). It’s all thanks to the power outage that we got to spend time with each other :) **I remember the night sky being so clear and beautiful during those times, too! The stars were breathtaking!**

One of the highlights of that week was us doing every single thing we could to keep our phone and laptop batteries from dying. I was in deep need of finishing our AVP during those times, too! What huge pressure!!

We tried hard to find charging stations wherever we could including 7eleven stores. We were even willing to pay P25/15mins (though we thought it was total crap 😂 so unjust) but we were unsuccessful. A week without phones made our week-long unli promo a w-a-s-t-e. A week without TV. A week without the internet. A week without electricity! Therefore, our parents weren’t able to reach us for days. We had a hard time communicating with each other since the technology of cell phones or the internet was unavailable. Good and not-so-good things happened that week but I still thank God for keeping us safe.

Some people from church helped us secure our stuff
temporarily. This photo was taken by my dad when
they got home from Samar.


Now, I think this is the part where I say…
Even without technology, Glenda made me see ‘a whole new world and a new fantastic point of view’ on real and actual communication :)

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! 💃

(on Coping With Power Outage and Calamities Through Communication and Technology)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images